Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Selling On Etsy Tip #4 Getting views


Photo courtesy of Bpgallery
Staying on top of the heap.

Etsy is getting crowded. Jewelry is overflowing, Art is overwhelming and the whole site is getting bigger every day. There is no magic listing time; listing late at night (US) can get you lots of international orders, listing early in the morning can catch you the office crowd (already bored with work).

Tip 4.
List often (this has been said before). Etsy doesn't have much of a search engine these days. If you list 10 items in one day and then nothing for two weeks your product will be buried on page 99, how will people find you? Spread out your listings. I take and upload all of my photos at once and then sit down every once in a while to add a new item. This keeps my views fresh and gives me more exposure to new buyers.

Tip 4.a
You can renew any listing for 20c. If you see a product go by with 4001 views it has been renewed (lets hope it sells this time). Renewing offers the same function as adding a new item; it puts you at the top of the category page and increases your overall exposure. The fee can add up so if you use this feature, do it wisely. And relisting your entire shop at the same time is not only bad etiquette (it pushes all the other sellers items down the page) it is unnecessary and a bit of a turn off. If your items are not getting a high number of views it is probably an issue with your photography, not the time of day it was listed or number of times it was renewed.

Ps I'll be doing a huge segment on photographing your work in upcoming weeks.

10 comments:

BlueJude said...

The listing thing is still a mystery to me. I DO spread em out...but threre doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I was told weekends are good. BUT not really. Not for me. I'm still figuring this one out!

littleputbooks said...

Bluejude, think about your market and when they are most likely online. I sell a lot to the office crowd, early weekday mornings and late in the evening. I love my crowd :O)

BlueJude said...

But I don't know who my market is! (bluejude whines here...lol) What times do you list??

littleputbooks said...

Contact me through etsy and I'll look at your shop :O)

jypsea--eclectic hand-crafted and vintage goods said...

How do you upload all of your pics at once and then add your listings later????

juju designs said...

I wish someone had told me when I first joined not to list everything at one time...the money I wasted as I had to end up relisting not long after...OY! LOL...I've found for me, listing around 6pm seems to work best...but that's just me

pocu said...

Wow, I'm so glad to find you! This is great -- thanks for your advice, support and all :) I've been going at it all alone -- let's see if some of your tips help!!!

cheriedesigns said...

I listed 5 things today! On Superbowl Sunday. That's just when I had the time and determination! Does everyone have to resize every single photo?

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

I'm really enjoying your blog : ) thanks for the tips!

RAWVOLTA said...

Thank YOU for sharing everything with us! It seems like I made lots of mistakes;-)
blessings, hugs and heve the best day ever!