Monday, May 7, 2007

Selling On Etsy Tip #9 Price is the Spice








Photo courtesy of Automaton

Cuteness Shop!!!!





Price is so important. I am still learning how to sort though all this, as some of you may have seen in the Etsy forums today. Its hard to find the right price. We want our work to sell and I think we often don't place enough value on our time. I know my time spent paper shopping, answering convos, shipping and buying supplies is never factored in to my hourly wage. It should be and bit by bit I do test the value of my work by slight increases but it is hard, raising my prices gives me an ulcer :o).

That said.....

Tip 9.

Don't under value your work. If your prices are WAY too low you will be ignored and fall through the cracks. Buyers want two things, value for thier dollar and valuable work. You have to try to find a balance. Is the purse that took 10 hours to hand embroider going to sell on Etsy for $600? Maybe, but probably not. The same purse listed at $10 may also be ignored as it will be seen as cheap and unimportant. When pricing, try to keep in mind what your think your time is worth as well as market value; if they both are about the same then you probably are right on target.

6 comments:

Kerryanne said...

This is a great blog- you are so cool for sharing. BTW your work is gorgeous, still one of my favorite shops. I'm glad to see someone else making accordian books- I've been in the process of making 30 the past few weeks :)
Take care
k
(solobooks)

UnitaMann said...

Thank you so much for your Etsy wisdom! I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog and that I am tagging you because I was tagged today. So you have to post seven things that people don't know about you and then tag seven people to do the same.

Eggman Studios said...

Gosh, this is all so, so true. I do believe that pricing is the most difficult for us and I'm STILL trying to figure it out.

Also, I'm tagging you (please forgive me if you've done this already--it's so hard to keep track...). The "how to" is over on my blog.

Have a good week! :)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Read about your blog on steph's blog, Adornments and Distractions.
I've enjoyed reading your tips & hope I can put some of them to use!

Therese said...

Thank you for your helpful advice! I am just starting up my shop and i have all my prints ready but I am struggling with price and names. Your blog has really helped me along!

Therese

x

woomi said...

Thank you for very helpful tips!
I started my shop about a week ago and its waaaaaaaay harder than i thought it would be...